Our Toastmasters program, Lightning, is a gavel club for the youth. Lightning is a registered club with the Toastmasters International.
The program cultivates communication, public speaking, teamwork, and leadership skills in youth. Kids can join the program at the age of twelve and above with the option to continue until they graduate from high school.
The program combines elements of a toastmasters club format with a very active support system of coaching. We have adult coaches with every group that aims to personalize the training and goals for each member kid. The curriculum creates opportunities for member kids to take on more advanced level tracks as they reach different educational milestones.
Program Focus for Youth
- Develop your ideas with clarity and a coherent organization.
- Empathy and Perspective Taking: Cultivate mindset to look at an idea or viewpoint from the perspective of others. Try to understand the other person, see if you can feel what he or she might be feeling. Acknowledge, relate to other members of the club.
- Learn to listen: Empathic listening helps you become a capable team player and a leader.
- Cultivate the art of giving meaningful, constructive feedback.
- Learn how to plan and run meetings.
- Emotional Intelligence (EQ): Understand the power and impact of emotions in communication and leadership; see, explore, and try ideas to cultivate mutual trust, respect, and credibility.
- Public Speaking: Enjoy the journey with fellow club members to cultivate belief in yourself.
- Be your natural self. Every individual has a unique perspective with their way of thinking, background, temperament, and overall outlook. That is a tremendous asset to have.
- Stretch or expand your comfort zone.
- Make people around you feel comfortable.
- Think ahead. Plan ahead. Coordinate with others for effective teamwork.
- Have fun.
Lightning Gavel Club
Lightning is a gavel club registered with Toastmasters International. Every member of the club gets toastmasters manuals and workbooks.
A number of our members have completed their speech goals, and have received award certificates from the Toastmasters International. We have had success stories of members using this for their college applications as well.